First, the housekeeping: no posting for me, of course, on Yom Kippur. Gamar chatimah tovah, shanah tovah, and for that matter shabbat shalom. I'll be back on Sunday. By the way: if anyone has suggestions for Sunday Questions, please leave them in comments below.
On to baseball...note style.
1. First place! A rare condition, apparently the first time the Giants have been on top in September since 2003. I'm fairly certain that they were never in first in September over the joke franchise stretch of 1972-1986. I can't say I'm full of optimism, but it sure beats the last few years.
2. It is a sick, sad joke to have the two best teams in baseball, tied at the top of their division, meet in September -- with basically nothing at stake. Bud Selig has more than most to atone for.
3. Not coincidentally, the great First Base hole is finally over. I don't quite get how baseball-reference assigns spots on the team/year page (as of now, the OF is listed as Burrell/Rowand/Schierholz, with Torres on the bench despite more games and more PAs than any of them), but I can't see any way that Aubrey Huff and his 140 OPS+ will wind up on the bench, with Travis Ishikawa (OPS+ 88) listed at 1B.
4. Buster Posey, OPS+ 134 in 381 PAs mostly at C; Jason Heyward, OPS+ 138 in 556 PAs in RF. Baseball-reference has Heyward 4.5 Wins Above Replacement and Posey at 2.6. BP has Heyward at 5.1 wins (WARP), Posey at 4.0. By the way, PECOTA really wiffed so far on Posey; his top ten comps are really weak, and he's solidly beating his 90% projection.
5. Did I mention how much I dislike the division/wildcard system?