Happy Birthday to Ron Glass, 68. As I've said, I was never really a big Barney Miller fan; of course, I am a huge fan of Shepherd Book.
The good stuff:
1. Will Wilkinson on the security state and democracy. Several good points here. On the final question he asks -- what happened to Barack Obama? -- I suspect he has the answer mostly wrong, or maybe it's the question that he gets wrong. I strongly suspect it's not so much about what Obama "really" thinks; my guess is that what we've seen is a president getting rolled by a combination of the bureaucracy and, to a lesser extent, a combination of the out party and the president's political advisers. Yes, I'm guessing here, and we probably won't know the answer for a long time, but that's my fairly strong guess.
2. Abby Rapoport on the likely next governor of Texas, Greg Abbott.
3. Even more from Scott Lemieux on Shelby County.
4. Dan Drezner on Rand Paul and foreign policy.
5. What Jennifer Victor learned at the Political Networks Conference.
6. Seth Masket on this summer's movies and higher education.
7. And the best thing of all: Vital Statistics on Congress is now on line and available.