Happy Birthday to Randy Quaid, 63.
1. Ross Douthat mostly makes sense about the shutdown as party strategy.
2. Jim DeMint and Obamacare, from Lucia Graves.
3. Ezra Klein and Sarah Kliff have a monster ACA FAQ.
4. John Sides on, roughly, mandates and democracy.
5. Read Ed Kilgore's disagreement with me over Boehner.
5. And Stan Collender on why the shutdown will last at least a week. That's what I would think, with only one main alternative possibility: that Republicans already decided in advance that they wanted, for whatever reason, to get over the deadline before caving. As of now, we don't know what Boehner has been saying to the dozens of House Republicans who were unhappy about following Ted Cruz et al. over the cliff, and what they were saying to him. It is possible that for whatever reason they all felt caving after the deadline was better than at the last minute. However, barring that, I agree with Collender's logic. (And see also my column from last week, which I think had similar conclusions).