Sure are a lot of obvious choices today...but I'll go with a Happy Birthday to Fran Kranz, 31. I'm not sure why, but I actually watched "Welcome to the Captain." It wasn't much good, in case you're wondering. I still haven't seen Cabin in the Woods, though, but I can't wait to see Much Ado.
OK, ready for the good stuff?
1. Jessica Valenti on what makes a good rape joke. Sounds right; the obvious analogy would be what makes a good Nazi joke. "Springtime for Hitler" is funny; telling someone that you hope the Nazis slaughter you and your family would generally not be funny.
2. Do favorable ratings have any information in them? Nate Silver investigates.
3. Good Kevin Drum item on health care in the future -- right down the street from us we have a new strip mall that was built to be anchored by a Barnes & Noble, but they pulled out at the last minute (after it was already built), and after sitting empty for a couple of years it's now getting turned into, yup, a hospital annex, or an emergency room, or something like at. And in fact one of the other storefronts is already some kind of clinic. Yup. Discussion started with this Matt Yglesias post.
4. Jonathan Cohn on why the Medicaid expansion really is a great deal for the states.
5. And Paul Krugman is shocked to find that inflation isn't spiking up right now after all and there's no US fiscal crisis.