Happy Birthday to Sonny Rollins, 82.
And the good stuff:
1. I thoroughly agree with Matt Yglesias about triggers and the stimulus. Moreover (as he's advocated before), I think there's a very strong argument for passing permanent automatic triggers for state and local government assistance. If it was up to me I'd probably just make them one-way, but realistically you would probably design them so that they were long-term neutral between the feds and the states.
2. Always go to Obama-rhetoric-watcher Andrew Sprung whenever Barack Obama makes a major speech. Always.
3. Others...Alex Massie, for the view from afar; James Fallows, who has listened to a convention speech or two; and Jonathan Chait, who must have really loved the tax cut riff.
4. Wonkblog's Suzy Khimm, Sarah Kliff, and Dylan Matthews do a quick fact-check.
5. And Ezra Klein on the value of talking policy.