Happy Birthday to Cirroc Lofton, 35.
1. "Don't Quit Your Day Job." Jay Ulfelder on making it as an independent research consultant.
2. Lots of parties links...I may write on some of this, but I'll link to them here in case I don't get to it. I'll start with Seth Masket on parties and ideology.
3. Andrew Sabl uses the Jim Messina news (the Obama campaigner is working for the Conservatives in the UK) to think a bit about party affiliation.
4. Mark Thompson on Rand Paul, Chris Christie, and the possibility that Republicans will get their act together.
5. And, yes, Ishtar is a good movie. David Haglund is correct. That it became the poster child for flops had something to do with sexism, and something to do with eagerness to go with standard Hollywood narratives...but whatever else Ishtar is, it's a good movie. Not a great one -- it's not an unrecognized classic or anything like that. But it's fun, and funny. On the other hand, I finally got around to seeing A New Leaf recently, and I was totally disappointed. I'm thinking that it's mainly because Walter Matthau isn't as funny as Hoffman or Beatty.