Happy Birthday to Darren Lewis, 45. I always thought his reputation for having a good glove was legitimate. Obviously, if you gave him 500 PAs it wasn't going to work out well, although it's hard to blame him for the Giants falling shot in 1993, I guess; amazing that the Red Sox gave him almost 700 PAs in 1998 and sort of got away with it. Although looking at that roster...wow, that is a depressing group of OFers. By the way -- that 1993 team sure had a lot of gloves, didn't it? Although the fielding stats at least as compiled at b-r shows them about even with the Braves, so no advantage there. What a great, great season for fans, even with the bitter ending. For all of the problems with the new double WC system, at least it brings back the possibility that we'll see something at least close to that again.
Enough about that: the good stuff.
1. Nice Walter Shapiro column on covering the conventions.
2. Ross Douthat points out why James K. Polk is the wrong model of presidenting for Mitt Romney.
3. Excellent piece on race, Romney, and Obama, by Ezra Klein. Interesting to see how mainstreaming of political science research on race will go.
4. Byron Shafer is blogging from the conventions. Recommended. (Via John).
5. And, sure, why not; Rebecca Schoenkopf on Obama, Breitbart, my brother, whatever.