One of the tougher decisions I've had in a while, but I'll have to go with a Happy Birthday to Lars Frederiksen, 41.
Have to get straight to the good stuff this morning:
1. Members of Congress who lost renomination attempts over the last few decades, compiled by Greg Giroux.
2. Adam Serwer on the five weirdest items in the GOP platform.
3. Pre-speech, John Sides has five things polling tells us about Paul Ryan.
4. Huh. I had no idea that the current doctor shortage was caused by the Newt Congress (in their deal with Bill Clinton, so that, too) and could be fairly easily solved. Sarah Kliff reports. Kliff says the problem is money; my question is whether the doctors are for it (to relieve the shortage) or against it (because restricting supply of something should make it more expensive).
5. As far as I'm concerned, we still don't know why offensive levels headed upwards in the mid-1990s, spiked, and have fallen back down in the last several years. Jay Joffe thinks it was the balls.