Happy Birthday to Rebecca De Mornay, 53.
Right to the good stuff:
1. Good survey of what pro-choice Republicans are saying -- and even what some very conservative Republicans are saying -- about the current party, from Amy Fried.
2. Jonathan Chait's point about Republicans and the Constitution is a good one, albeit not exclusively a conservative Republican thing over the course of US history.
3. Garance Franke-Ruta on one of the strongest Day One speakers -- and one of the worst.
4. Mark Blumenthal summarizes what's known about convention bumps. And I think I linked to it already yesterday, but Brendan Nyhan's column on the conventions is especially strong.
5. And, timely: Alyssa Rosenberg reviews the current revival of Gore Vidal's The Best Man. I saw the movie a while ago, and have never read the play...I wasn't enthusiastic, but I have thought it's worth another try.