Happy Birthday to Orlando Cepeda, 76
We do need some good stuff, don't we:
1. Dan Drezner on credibility. I don't keep up on what's happening in IR at all (well, not beyond the bloggers, I suppose), but I'll add that most Americanists think less of the importance of "personal credibility...inside the corridors of power" than Neustadt did. On the other hand, if politicians think it's a big deal, then it is, even if it doesn't actually buy them anything in negotiations. And as long as the value in negotiations is positive, even if it's small? Well, rather have it than not, no?
2. I really do have to watch the Discovery Channel thing on presidential Chiefs of Staff. But I'm not sure I buy Ken Duberstein's claim that they have become celebrities. He wasn't, but Hamilton Jordan was surely more of a celebrity than all but one of Obama's CoS, no? Lucia Graves has the story.
3. Good Josh Barro point on how Obamacare will change things.
4. Interesting reporting from Amelia Thomson-Deveaux on the battle over abortion in New Mexico.
5. And I don't agree with everything Stan Collender says about the budget negotiations, but I always recommend reading him.