Happy Birthday to Sir Ian Holm, 82. I've actually only seen him in a handful of movies, with a bunch of things that I easily could have seen but for whatever reason haven't. But two of those I have seen stand out for me: his performances in Big Night, and as Fluellen in Henry V. Terrific.
Ah, nothing like a little good stuff:
1. Margo Schlanger on solitary confinement.
2. Gabriel Arana on the immigration bill.
3. Jamelle Bouie reports from rally for defunding Obamacare.
4. I like this Roseanne McMannus analysis of Obama going to Congress very much; I've argued it was a good idea because it would generate information for him, but she sees it as a way to signal he was serious about a strike. I would add: it's a way to continue to up his threat without actually taking the action. In other words, it may have been a way to extend the bluff (or at least the bluster) one more round before he had to show his cards.
5. While James Fearon is smart as always about Syria.